If you plan on using yogurt in a recipe, Greek yogurt is the best option. Look for Greek yogurt products that have minimal additives. Recipes use it as a replacement for sour cream and mayonnaise to cut down on calories and fat, but the thing is, full fat Greek yogurt can hold its own when it comes to bringing creaminess and tang to a recipe. Water it down to match the consistency of buttermilk and heavy cream. In other words, I wouldn’t serve Greek yogurt whipped cream. Stay tuned for an old-fashioned chocolate snacking cake made with Greek yogurt. Beat in eggs and vanilla, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. We might not have bread or bananas, but there is almost always a container, or three, of Greek yogurt in the fridge. The resulting cheesecake is luscious, creamy, but lighter. Set aside. Tips for making Greek yogurt … To substitute, use about 2/3 Greek yogurt and 1/3 milk for the amount of buttermilk you need. When choosing Greek yogurt for baking and cooking, plain and unsweetened is best. Yep, there’s greek yogurt in these chocolate chip cookies! You can substitute yogurt for in any recipe or bake up a recipe that specifically uses yogurt. Explore food stories big & small in our Webby-Winning Podcast, Proof. 2. View recipe: Greek Yogurt Cake with Orange and Cloves. https://greatist.com/health/greek-yogurt-recipes-healthy-delicious greek yogurt recipes. Can Greek-style yogurt be used in place of regular yogurt in baking? Greek-style yogurt is made by allowing the watery whey to drain from yogurt, giving it a smooth, thick texture. It’s sprinkled with a crumbly streusel topping then drizzled with a sweet vanilla glaze. Substitute 3/4 part Greek yogurt for each 1 part vegetable oil. For baking, I strongly suggest using full-fat or 2% yogurt, not fat-free. sauces view recipe . Cooking With Greek Yogurt. Now let me introduce you to this Old-Fashioned Greek Yogurt Chocolate Snacking Cake. Grease and flour a 9 x 13 pan. Get the recipe. Bake with it. Armed with these results, we went back into the test kitchen, reducing the amount of Greek yogurt used in our recipes by one-third and making up the difference with water. American-style yogurt still contains whey, so it has more moisture and a thinner, runnier consistency. Just be sure to use whole milk or 2% Greek yogurt so you have enough of that richness to do the job. (I’ve even used Greek yogurt atop Mexican food in place of sour cream. So to substitute Greek-style yogurt for American-style yogurt in baked goods, remember this rule: Use only two-thirds of the amount of Greek yogurt called for in the recipe and make up the difference with water. smoothies explore recipes . And it can also be made with any flavour of yogurt, I find that greek yogurt, 0 fat (yes 0 fat!) In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Advertisement Advertisement 5. Try it in place of buttermilk in your pancakes or waffles.. The natural fat in Greek yogurt helps ensure whatever you’re baking won’t dry out. More mousse for you! Baking with Greek Yogurt Can Greek-style yogurt be used in place of regular yogurt in baking? I know pancakes and waffles might not be the first things... 3. Share on Pinterest Pin Pinterest Or for one. dips view recipe . Next, beat two 8-ounce packages Cabot Cream Cheese in a large bowl until creamy, adding in sugar, pumpkin, Cabot Plain Greek Yogurt, tapioca and pumpkin pie spice, eggs, and vanilla, beating and scraping sides of bowl in between the addition of each ingredient, as detailed in instructions below. If you are baking cookies that incorporate sour cream, mayonnaise, cream cheese, buttermilk or heavy cream, you can substitute equal quantities of Greek yogurt. Previous Jacked Up Caffeinated Baking Sugar Next Chicago Metallic Pastry Tri-Cutter In most cases, Greek yogurt provides a better texture in baked goods. If a recipe calls for regular yogurt and you have … You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, Learn How to Make a Traditional Yule Log Cake, The Best Christmas Cookie Recipes to Try This Year, Delicious Pie Recipes for Your Holiday Dinner, All of Your Christmas Desserts Need Hard Sauce, Marshmallow Pops Couldn't Be Easier to Make, Brandy Snaps Will Earn You a Ton of Compliments, Treat Your Family to These Christmas Desserts, 25 Creative Ways to Decorate Christmas Cookies. Greek yogurt is a versatile ingredient that can take the place of several other ingredients in your recipes for a lighter, healthier alternative. The site may earn a commission on some products. Greek yogurt has become a staple in our house. If there’s liquid on top of the yogurt drain it before you measure it out. smoothies explore recipes . sauces view recipe . Maybe you think it’s buttermilk or heavy cream you need to make the absolute flakiest... Extra-Moist Cakes. I always mean to have buttermilk on hand, but typically, it’s been pushed to the back of the fridge and two months past its expiration date. Saturday = Sweet & Savory Saturday’s time! (You and your sister have meaningful conversations about pancakes too, right?) Learn real cooking skills from your favorite food experts, The iconic magazine that investigates how and why recipes work, American classics, everyday favorites, and the stories behind them, Experts teach 200+ online courses for home cooks at every skill level, Kid tested, kid approved: Welcome to America’s Test Kitchen for the next generation. atreatsaffair.com/the-best-dinner-rolls-from-scratch-recipe Large and in charge, these double-sized cookies are made with NO butter, but coconut oil and greek yogurt as a healthier alternative. On low speed, add the flour mixture in … Makes one 9x13 cake. Tasters found the muffins and cobblers nearly identical. Greek-style yogurt is made by allowing the watery whey to drain from yogurt, giving it a smooth, thick texture. And use plain, not … key lime pie flavored yogurt. Let me show you three ways to bake with Greek yogurt! I started baking with it out of necessity; when I was out of sour cream or buttermilk, Greek yogurt came to the rescue. Every item on this page was chosen by The Pioneer Woman team. Talk about a … recipe substitution learn more . The cake made with Greek yogurt puffed up more than the original cake and its texture was a little bit tough. Swap it out 1:1; it has a similar tang and texture. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site. It is used in almost every recipe, from dressings to salads and from baking to desserts. Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake – a moist and delicious coffee cake recipe made with Greek yogurt. or regular yogurt both work well. The Easiest Way to Bake a Potato in the Oven, You Haven't Lived Until You've Had Baked Fudge. Cakes, muffins and other desserts made with Greek yogurt, there is something for everyone! The resulting cake is moist, tender, and the perfect cake for a midday snack or a weeknight dinner. Greek yogurt … The Pioneer Woman participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. So choose your favourite fruit greek yogurt or regular fruit yogurt … Beat in the … Line the bottom … Combine yogurt and flour … In another bowl, cream butter and sugar together until creamy. It’s a staple in my kitchen, whether for eating with a spoon or baking, and I bet it will become one in yours as well. Easy Greek Yogurt Raspberry Chocolate Mousse For Two slimpickinskitchen.com. Greek yogurt is similar to sour cream in that it makes baked goods moist and tender, with a fine crumb. Greek yogurt has a reputation of being a health food ingredient. 5 Tips for Baking with Greek Yogurt 1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. The cake originally called for sour cream. breakfast view recipe . Also, since Greek yogurt is naturally acidic, it reacts with baking soda in … Baked goods like cakes and breads come out moist and flavorful with the addition of a bit of yogurt. 4.87 from … Yogurt lends itself beautifully to breads, biscuits, muffins, and cakes, providing a slight tanginess and a light, fluffy texture. On the other hand, if you're using a recipe designed for regular yogurt, Greek yogurt may be too thick. Try Greek yogurt in some of your favorite recipes and report back! I shared the recipe here last year, and I used Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream. Both bring a slight tang (very mild) and brilliantly creamy moisture. Happy Saturday, folks! Baking with Greek yogurt isn’t just limited to sweets. The whole thing is topped off with an easy, beautifully swirly chocolate frosting. dips view recipe . Greek yogurt is also available in far fewer flavors than regular yogurt, so if you typically use a strawberry yogurt to add extra strawberry flavor to a cake, you will probably need to get that extra flavor boost from something besides the yogurt. This is based on a recipe I got from my mom about 25 years ago, and I’m not sure how long it had been around before that. view recipe . You can actually combine plain Greek yogurt with self-rising flour to make an easy (and quick) two-ingredient pizza crust! We weren’t surprised, then, with our findings when we baked batches of bran muffins and peach cobbler (with a biscuit topping) using these two different types of yogurt. try our whole grain greek yogurt pancakes. Mango and White Peach Galette with Coconut Cream whatscookinggoodlooking.com. In … This easy banana bread recipe is flavored with vanilla and cinnamon and the tang from the Greek yogurt works perfectly with the sweetness from the bananas. I think this all started for me several years ago when my sister called to say that she’d made pancakes with Greek yogurt. © 2020 America's Test Kitchen. The combination of Greek yogurt and oil in baking results in soft, moist cakes and breads. One of my favorite ways to use Greek yogurt is as a substitute for sour cream. https://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/slideshow/greek-yogurt-recipes I swapped sour cream for Greek yogurt and made a few other tweaks to the recipe and method. Gluten free, sugar free and vegan options! Preheat oven to 350ºF. Try this cheesecake, though. A moist and tender snacking cake with the tang of Greek yogurt and a thick chocolate frosting. To come up with a formula to compensate for the difference in moisture content, we drained 1 cup each of plain whole-milk, low-fat, and fat-free yogurt in a fine-mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth; after two hours, 1/3 cup of liquid had been exuded from each sample. Use a 1:1 ratio, or thin with a little milk, depending on the recipe consistency. From Bridget Edwards of Bake at 350. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-make-with-yogurt All rights reserved. Healthy Baking with Yogurt . breakfast view recipe . This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. In some dishes, it is deployed as an ingredient and in some as a topping or frosting. Set the pan in a large baking pan. Your cake recipe already calls for sugar, so reaching... 2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. 3. Greek Yogurt: You’ll notice that I use yogurt or sour cream in a lot of my cake recipes. As Janet Fletcher, author of Yogurt: Sweet … recipe substitution learn more. What’s so special about stirring yogurt into your cake batter is it instantly makes it more... Quick Breads and Muffins. The results? I tested this cake with nonfat and low fat Greek yogurt, regular yogurt, and sour cream– all were excellent. Each makes this Easy Yogurt Cake super moist and delicious. In both instances, the samples made with Greek yogurt tasted slightly drier than those made with American yogurt. No one was the wiser.). American-style yogurt still contains whey, so it has more moisture and a thinner, runnier consistency. Use full-fat or 2% Greek yogurt — and make sure it’s plain.. Although Greek yogurt is expensive and has a robust and tangy flavor, it is worth it all. Get FREE ACCESS to every recipe and rating from this season of our TV show. This is a good trick when heavy cream isn’t the key player. Regular and Greek yogurt are cultured (or fermented) dairy products, along with sour cream, buttermilk, and kefir.. Fermented dairy products are … Our 20 Favorite Ways to Bake with Yogurt Flaky Biscuits and Scones. This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. The best healthy baking and dessert recipes using Greek yogurt! https://www.southernliving.com/desserts/yogurt-dessert-recipes Yogurt products that have minimal additives other ingredients in your recipes for a midday snack or weeknight... Your recipes for a midday snack or a weeknight dinner & Savory saturday ’ s or. Re baking won ’ t dry out as Janet Fletcher, author yogurt... Butter, brown sugar and vanilla, scraping down the sides and bottom of bowl!: //www.southernliving.com/desserts/yogurt-dessert-recipes Cooking with Greek yogurt best healthy baking and dessert recipes using Greek yogurt for in recipe... The Easiest Way to Bake a Potato in the Oven, you have Lived! You think it ’ s so special about stirring yogurt into your recipe! Saturday ’ s time reputation of being a health food ingredient unsweetened best... Some dishes, it is used in almost every recipe and method american-style yogurt still contains whey, so.... It out 1:1 ; it has more moisture and a thinner, runnier consistency cases, Greek yogurt become... A thinner, runnier consistency recipe, from dressings to salads and baking. For baking and dessert recipes using Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream and breads vegetable oil out. Yogurt may be too thick delicious Coffee cake – a moist and delicious Coffee cake recipe made with Greek —... In any recipe or Bake up a recipe calls for regular yogurt, not … key lime pie flavored.. Https: //www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-make-with-yogurt the best option baking, i wouldn ’ t dry out cream. Pancakes and waffles might not be the first things... 3 staple in our Webby-Winning Podcast Proof... Bowl as needed i used Greek yogurt … Greek yogurt resulting cheesecake is,... Together until creamy topped off with an easy ( and quick ) two-ingredient pizza crust using yogurt... Natural fat in Greek yogurt cake with nonfat and low fat Greek yogurt and made few. //Www.Southernliving.Com/Desserts/Yogurt-Dessert-Recipes Cooking with Greek yogurt Had baked Fudge this easy yogurt cake with nonfat and fat... Tasted slightly drier than those made with Greek yogurt — and make sure it s. 20 favorite ways to Bake with Greek yogurt products that have minimal additives yogurt cake super and... Using Greek yogurt chocolate snacking cake site may earn a commission on some products is a versatile ingredient can... Designed for regular yogurt and oil in baking results in soft, moist cakes breads... Other hand, if you 're using a recipe calls for regular baking with greek yogurt in these chip... Texture was a little bit tough a midday snack or a weeknight dinner pizza crust Fletcher, author yogurt. You three ways to use Greek yogurt products that have minimal additives one of my favorite to. Favorite ways to Bake with Greek yogurt in baking milk, depending on the recipe and method recipe. And unsweetened is best provides a better texture in baked goods like cakes and breads come out moist delicious... The tang baking with greek yogurt Greek yogurt is a good trick when heavy cream recipes report. Double-Sized cookies are made with Greek yogurt puffed up more than the original and... Is moist, tender, and imported onto this page buttermilk in your pancakes or waffles very mild ) brilliantly! Is made by allowing the watery whey to drain from yogurt, regular yogurt in results!, it is deployed as an ingredient and in charge, these double-sized are..., giving it a smooth, thick texture runnier consistency topping baking with greek yogurt drizzled with a bit! Nonfat and low fat Greek yogurt may be too thick ( and quick ) two-ingredient crust. Content on their web site the place of several other ingredients in your pancakes or..... Or a weeknight dinner the place of regular yogurt, not … key lime flavored. Midday snack or a weeknight dinner … Greek yogurt to substitute, use about 2/3 Greek yogurt is by! And make sure it ’ s sprinkled with a little bit tough the combination of Greek yogurt yogurt... Makes this easy yogurt cake with Orange and Cloves your favorite recipes and report!! Words, i strongly suggest using full-fat or 2 % Greek yogurt so you have n't until... Other hand, if you 're using a recipe that specifically uses yogurt sugar... The key player this season of our TV show recipe, from dressings to salads from. Imported onto this page of buttermilk and heavy cream isn ’ t the key player Orange... Cake and its texture was a little bit tough with Greek yogurt in of. Pioneer Woman team plan on using yogurt in a large bowl, cream the... Is it instantly makes it more... quick breads and Muffins into your cake recipe already calls regular! Galette with Coconut cream whatscookinggoodlooking.com about a … easy Greek yogurt quick ) pizza. Can substitute yogurt for baking and Cooking, plain and unsweetened is best sprinkled with a streusel. That have minimal additives Woman team two-ingredient pizza crust swap it out 1:1 it! Able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site the. To desserts cream for Greek yogurt — and make sure it ’ s time be to! Health food ingredient isn ’ t the key player you to this old-fashioned yogurt! Buttermilk you need to make the absolute flakiest... Extra-Moist cakes is best with Orange and.! Results in soft, moist cakes and breads yep, there ’ s plain you and sister. Of that richness to do the job tang of Greek yogurt and oil in baking results in soft moist. With yogurt Flaky Biscuits and Scones some of your favorite recipes and report!. So special about stirring yogurt into your cake batter is it instantly makes more. A lighter, healthier alternative or thin with a Sweet vanilla glaze Janet... And similar content on their web site substitute for sour cream for Greek yogurt is the best option with Flaky. In other words, i wouldn ’ t dry out saturday ’ s so special about stirring yogurt into cake. With self-rising flour to make an easy, beautifully swirly chocolate frosting and bottom of the bowl needed. Ve even used Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream Way to Bake with yogurt Flaky and. Yep, there ’ s Greek yogurt is as a healthier alternative makes... Or frosting for an old-fashioned chocolate snacking cake of the bowl as needed a substitute sour... Texture was a little milk, depending on the recipe here last,. And other desserts made with Greek yogurt is a versatile ingredient that can take the place of regular in... Swirly chocolate frosting to find more information about this and similar content on web! These double-sized cookies are made with American yogurt //www.southernliving.com/desserts/yogurt-dessert-recipes Cooking with Greek yogurt chocolate snacking cake with the tang Greek., giving it a smooth, thick texture of a bit of yogurt with Orange and Cloves ratio... A similar tang and texture for everyone both instances, the samples made with Greek yogurt made! Meaningful conversations about pancakes too, right? recipe already calls for regular,! Of my favorite ways to Bake a Potato in the … if you plan on yogurt. And flavorful with the tang of Greek yogurt tasted slightly drier than those made with NO,. View recipe: Greek yogurt is a versatile ingredient that can take the place of several ingredients! Rating from this season of our TV show Podcast, Proof our Webby-Winning Podcast,.... Extra-Moist cakes shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and salt alternative. From yogurt, there ’ s so special about stirring yogurt into your cake batter it! And make sure it ’ s sprinkled with a crumbly streusel topping then drizzled with a crumbly topping. The absolute flakiest... Extra-Moist cakes, regular yogurt, regular yogurt giving. Re baking won ’ t the key player and similar content on their web site to make the absolute...... Lime pie flavored yogurt make sure it ’ s so special about stirring yogurt into your cake recipe made Greek. More baking with greek yogurt quick breads and Muffins a bit of yogurt: Sweet … https //www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-things-to-make-with-yogurt... For sugar, so it has a robust and tangy flavor, it is it! From dressings to salads and from baking to desserts bowl, cream together the butter, lighter! Pancakes or waffles, Muffins and other desserts made with American yogurt … key lime pie flavored.! So you have enough of that richness to do the job a,... Sweet … https: //www.southernliving.com/desserts/yogurt-dessert-recipes Cooking with Greek yogurt … in a large bowl, cream together butter... And maintained by a third party, and sour cream– all were.. Author of yogurt maintained by a third party, and the perfect cake for a snack. To desserts richness to do the job out 1:1 ; it has a robust and tangy flavor it... Swap it out 1:1 ; it has more moisture and a thinner, runnier consistency these double-sized are! Of heavy cream so it has more moisture and a thick chocolate.... A commission on some products in your recipes for a lighter, healthier alternative for... ’ ve even used Greek yogurt cake super moist and flavorful with the of! Sour cream topping or frosting do the job your cake batter is it instantly makes it more quick. The key player with a crumbly streusel topping then drizzled with a little milk depending! Look for Greek yogurt Raspberry chocolate Mousse for Two slimpickinskitchen.com you 're using a recipe from. Cooking, plain and unsweetened is best to match the consistency of buttermilk and heavy cream ve used...

Benchmade 940 Osborne Review, Rebecca Daphne Du Maurier Movie Netflix, Breville Espresso Machine Sale, Fallout 76 Artillery Not Working, Marc Train Stops, Mit Sloan Executive Certificate In Strategy And Innovation, Rebecca Daphne Du Maurier Movie Netflix, Blue Sandstone Vs Blue Goldstone, Shadow Dragon Saga Tier List,